1/31
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
background image
ImagesAll Photos
Sale
Sonvilier
Bern
Property Details
Farm/Ranch|7|2
Total Area (undefined)
4,305
Ref No.
4LHSZC
$ 2,420,557

Magnificent renovated farmhouse. Part of watchmaking history

IN 1985, THIS RESTORED FARMHOUSE WAS AWARDED THE NEUCHÂTEL HEIMATSCHUTZ PRIZE.
THE PAST IN THE PRESENT

When architecture meets the contemporary past, or how to bridge three and a half centuries of history.

All that stands between the original "belle chambre" and the modern living room in the former stable is a simple wooden door. A leap of three hundred and fifty years. But not the slightest shock: just life going on, in the gentle rolling hills of this northern tip of the Val-de-Ruz.

It's a Jura farmhouse, as there are still a few in the region. Built in 1652, it had belonged throughout the last century to the same family of modest farmers, the Scheideggers. When the father died in the 1960s, the mother and daughter continued to live there as they had in the previous century, with only electricity and water from the cistern. The tiny living quarters consisted of the hearth (the kitchen), the "belle chambre", which was only entered on special occasions, and a small room above: the "grandfather's room", accessed through a trapdoor by climbing over the stove. The rest was the empty barn and stable. The house was abandoned in the mid-1970s when, with the death of the mother, the daughter had to be placed in a home.

In the ten years that Henri and Paule Schneider had been scouring the region for a farmhouse to restore, they must have passed this ruin ten times: cracked walls, a roof ready to collapse, rotting roof timbers... What prompted them, on that summer's day in 1979, to take a look inside? And there, in what's left of the kitchen, supporting a blackened hearth with a derisory little wood-burning stove, they stopped in front of the column: a marvellous ashlar corner column, carved, intact, as beautiful as the day it was built, supporting a straight-headed fireplace. They bought the column... and the ruin around it. Not without first having to pay off a developer who was planning to build vacation apartments there. Purchase price: 50,000 francs. As a result, the Heimatschutz stepped in and immediately classified the facade. As for the rest... the brave owners embarked on an adventure similar to that recounted by Katharina von Arx in Ma Folie Romainmôtier .

Henri Schneider, an ETS engineer in the watchmaking industry, and his wife Paule - "no training but a passion" - went to work with local craftsmen, rediscovering techniques, relearning traditional gestures, transforming themselves, weekend after weekend, into laborers, masons, carpenters, draughtsmen and historians. First objective: the shell. Jean-Louis Geiser, a carpenter from La Ferrière, is creating the new framework, calculated to modern standards but using the techniques of the old building: six columns, rafters made from fir trunks cut on two sides, beams and uprights adjusted and fixed with wooden pegs. The 305 m² roof will be covered, as in the original, with 66 cm-long wooden shingles, cut from white fir that Henri Schneider chose in the forest with Denis Sauser from La Chaux-du-Milieu, one of the last specialists in this art (he was awarded the Heimatschutz Prize in 1981).

The façade, which proudly displays the date 1652 on the front portal, was in itself an architectural and historical book: the superb mullioned window of the beautiful room, opened in 1673, had been blocked up at a time when taxes were set according to the number of windows surrounded by stone! It will now be restored. On the east side, the awning, the bread oven roof and the construction of the grandfather's bedroom on the second floor date from the 18th century. And from the
Features & Amenities
amenity icon
Refrigerator
amenity icon
New Construction
amenity icon
Tile
amenity icon
Wood Siding
amenity icon
Hardwood
amenity icon
Security System
amenity icon
Artist Studio
amenity icon
Beam -Ceilings
amenity icon
Dishwasher
amenity icon
Walk-in Closet
amenity icon
Range / Oven
amenity icon
Area Pool
amenity icon
Ski-In / Ski-Out
amenity icon
Gardens
amenity icon
Wood Frame
amenity icon
Green Living
amenity icon
Wine Cellar
amenity icon
Eat-in Kitchen
amenity icon
Stone
amenity icon
Workshop
amenity icon
Tub Only
amenity icon
Mountain
amenity icon
In-law Suite
amenity icon
Dryer
amenity icon
Fireplace
amenity icon
Playground
amenity icon
Area Hiking
amenity icon
Cable
amenity icon
Privacy
amenity icon
Washer
amenity icon
Area Tennis
amenity icon
Panoramic
amenity icon
Skiing
amenity icon
Mountain
amenity icon
Stall Shower
amenity icon
QC Approved Listing
Disclaimer: Please note that all sizes listed are approximate and based on documentation provided at the time of listing the property. Exact unit/plot sizes may vary from what is presented above.
Get in touch
DIFC Showroom
DIFC Showroom
Listed Office
Dubai Sotheby's International Realty
EMAAR Business Park, Building 4, Office G-05,
Sheikh Zayed Rd. Dubai, United Arab Emirates
By submitting this form, you acknowledge that you accept the Sotheby's International Realty Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.